Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Grabbing 2007 by the teats

2007 is here.

I have the feeling that I have been waiting my whole life for this year to come. I don’t know why nor could I explain what I will be attempting to accomplish during the next 52 weeks but I am convinced it will be great. I hope to be able to carry this attitude well into 2008 and beyond. Stay away from me reality and don’t you dare touch my optimism with your sobering hands.

Now that that’s out of the way, here is my post-New Year’s post.

It’s funny how expectations can change so much in just a few moments. At 10:57pm, just over an hour before 2007, I seemed content to sit in my apartment and play video games with a bottle of wine to myself. Granted, it wasn’t anywhere near the big party atmosphere I have grown accustomed to over the years, but it had a quiet, almost nurturing vibe about it. Needless to say, I was enjoying myself. Then in walks my friend Dan, who I haven’t seen in a long while and proceeds to invite me out for the evening. I got dressed and embarked on what would be my last evening in the year 2006. Getting into details concerning the night isn’t nearly as important as describing how I felt when I got home.

I was empty.

Completely and utterly empty of all of the bullshit that happened in 2006. It was revitalizing despite all of the alcohol and second-hand smoke I imbibed and all of the weight of a full night without sleep on my shoulders. I could have been accosted by a group of super ninjas with snake nunchucks and convinced them they didn’t want a piece. So, needless to say, I had a damn good New Year’s. I hope everyone had a great New Year’s and looks forward to 2007 with as much expectation as I do.

No comments: