Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Few Changes

English

Happy humpday begins this week with an announcement.

I have decided to make a few changes around here. I’m fairly sure this will turn my blog into more of a communication tool rather than the one-sided juxtaposition of thought it has been thus far. The things that will be changing:

1) I will now begin posting in English, Korean, and Japanese. Maybe one post will be in all 3 languages, others 2, some only one. It all depends on my time and level of patience. The posts themselves will not be exact translations.
2) I will open the blog so ANYONE will be able to post/comment/bitch. Inappropriate posts will be deleted promptly.

Remember anyone (that means you) can post now. Post whatever you want but keep it in context. This is my attempt to improve my waning language skills in both Korean and Japanese while maintaining a healthy blog for family and friends too. Needless to say, frequency of posts will probably drop, but length and quality should improve as such. Also, please feel free to correct my Japanese or Korean (I would appreciate it actually) since both are waning as previously mentioned.

On to the next order of business: my week.

A few, interesting things went down the last week. First, the boys who went to Cambodia and Thailand came back. It seems like they did exactly what I thought they would do; spend too much money, drink too much liquor, and have too much fun. I’m glad they had fun. All of them can choke a fat one for not remembering to bring me anything back, but that just means my trip to Japan will be a lot cheaper so I guess it works out.

Next I must stop to mourn the loss of my Bear’s sweater, my latest karaoke victim. Like all the greats, you were too young and too beautiful to last. I miss you Bear’s sweater.

Finally, I will be traveling this Friday with the entire company to a resort somewhere in the wilderness of Korea. We will then get on a boat and probably drink and carouse until sometime in the early morning. It seems like it will be fun so rest assured I will be taking pictures.

(Side note: Seems I didn’t lose my Bear’s sweater, George had it. Yay for my sweater!)

Korean (한국어)

안녕하세요~

제 불로그에 와주셔서 갑사합니다.

이 불로그에 영어, 일본어, 다음에 한국어로 쓰는것을 정했스니까 이것는 적성의 한국말포스트. 재미있게 읽으면 좋겠습니다.

제 이름은 마이클 페건입니다. 시카고에서 왔지고 지금 서울의 서교동 (홍대가)에 살고 있습니다. 제가 한국에 왔던 동류가 4까지 있습니다. 적성이 관광객, 학생, 영어 선생, 이제는 AC 닐슨 코리아의 신입원입니다. 다 추가하면 2년 4월 돼었습니다. 한국에 오기 전에 일본에 1년쯤 살었는데 일본어도 할 수 있습니다.
제 좋아한것은 너무 많아서 간다하게 말하면움직이고 있는 것을 보는것을 좋아합니다. 싫어한것도 많아지만 그런것을 처음부터 마하면 안 돼겠다.

왜 한국어로 불로그을 만들고 있나요? 역시 한국에 살고 있는 외국인(한국인이 않은 사람) 은 한국어 공부해야 탠니까 이 불로그는 그 공부의 한부분입니다. 다음에 월요일부터 금요일까지 회사에 있는동안에 한국어로 말하는 연습이 많이 있지만 한국어로 쓰는 연습이 전혀 없습니다. 이 불로그을 자주 엎대트를 하면 제 한국어는 차츰 잘 할 수있으겁니다.

현재에 이 불로그을 일주일간에 1회 정도 엎대트를 하겠습니다.

잘 하겠스니까 부탁드립니다.

Japanese (日本語)

皆さんへ

初めまして ! この私のブログまで来てくれて本当にありがとうございました。

私をよく知らない人にちょっと自己紹介しようと思っています。私の名前はマイケルフェガン(マイクでいいです)と申します。シカゴから来て、今はソウルで住んでいます。好きなことはけっこうあるので、まぁ簡単に言うと動いているものを見るのは好きです。嫌いなこともけっこうありますが、初めからそういうことを教えないほうがいいですね。趣味も信じられないほどあります。一番好きなことは多分言語の勉強と遊ぶことです。

今まで皆さんが一つの質問があると当てれば、こうです:

“何でソウルに住んでいるアメリカ人が日本語でブログを作るのは必要ありますか?”

“必要ない”だと言われたらだめなんですから、簡単に説明しましょう。5年前ぐらいに千葉大学へ留学しに行って1年間の間に日本語など日本の経済的なことなど勉強しましたが、アメリカに帰った時から日本語で話せる機会があまりなかったんです。ですから、今までの見た通りに日本語の能力がだんだん下手になっています。4年ぶり日本語を使っていない間はしょうがないだと言われても今からはもうそういうわけは全然だめだと思っています。

それに、うちのおばあさんは日本人です。私は四分の一日本人だっていうことです。まじで。

現在にこのブログは一週間で一回ぐらいアプデートします。頑張るつもりので、今からよろしくお願いしますね~^^

Whew~ That was tough.

Look forward to more in the future.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

안녕하세요~

제 불로그(블로그)에 와주셔서 갑사합니다(감사합니다).

이 불로그에 영어, 일본어, 다음에 한국어로 쓰는것을 정했스니까 이것는(은) 적성(?)의 한국말포스트. 재미있게 읽으면 좋겠습니다.

제 이름은 마이클 페건입니다. 시카고에서 왔지고(왔고,) 지금 서울의 서교동 (홍대가)에 살고 있습니다. 제가 한국에 왔던 동류가(이유는) 4까지(가지) 있습니다. 적성이 관광객, 학생, 영어 선생, 이제는 AC 닐슨 코리아의 신입원입니다. 다 추가하면 2년 4월 돼었습니다(되었습니다). 한국에 오기 전에 일본에 1년쯤 살었(았)는데 일본어도 할 수 있습니다.
제(가) 좋아한(하는)것은 너무 많아서 간다하게 말하면 움직이고 있는 것을 보는것을 좋아합니다. 싫어한것도 많아지만(많지만) 그런것을 처음부터 마하면(말하면) 안 돼겠다.

왜 한국어로 불로그을 만들고 있나요? 역시 한국에 살고 있는 외국인(한국인이 않은 사람) 은 한국어 공부해야 탠니까(되니까) 이 불로그는 그 공부의 한부분입니다. 다음에 월요일부터 금요일까지 회사에 있는동안에 한국어로 말하는 연습이 많이 있지만 한국어로 쓰는 연습이 전혀 없습니다. 이 불로그을(를) 자주 엎대트(업데이트)를 하면 제 한국어는 차츰 잘 할 수있으겁니다.

Just you know, my intention was not to judge your Korean skills. but to just want to be of help.

Mike said...

Thanks for the post.

The reason I opened up my blog was so people could do what you just did so no worries.

Thanks actually.

I can see that some of the mistakes are slips of the keyboard on my part. Some of them (ex. the spelling of blog) are open to interpretation I guess since I've seen it spelled at least 3 different ways.

Thanks again for the help!

Mike said...

Oh yeah, and for the 한국에 왔던 동류가(이유는) 4까지(가지) 있습니다 part.

I wanted to say "I have been to Korea in 4 different forms" and I noticed you corrected "types/forms" as "reasons" which I didn't want to use.

Is there a way to say that in Korean while still making sense?

(Probably not)

(笑)

admin said...

I see what you mean.types/forms can be translated into 종류/형태. However, we don't say like "한국에 왔던 종류 or 형태는 4가지 입니다." alternatively, you can say like "4가진 다른 목적으로 한국에 왔습니다." which means "I have been to Korea for different purposes." That's the best I can tell you. Your Korean skills are much better than my English skills.'적성'is your Korean name? You know '적성' means 'aptitude' in English?

Mike said...

Haha. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for your undeserving praise and explanations Cali. I don't think my Korean goes anywhere near your English if you are correcting my Korean in perfect English.

Actually the 적성 was a typo on my part. I was typing while talking to my coworker (and I still don't have the Korean keyboard down perfectly) and meant to type 처음. Which means I accidentally learned the word for "aptitude". Nice.

I don't really have a Korean name. Unless you count 마이크 which is more of karaoke tool than a name.

Jayce said...

hey, Mike. It's 형. Your composition is cool. You know, I just wanted to be of help.

By the way, the new left-handed guitar has arrived. It's called Washburn X-50 Pro. I think it's a Chicagoan brand. But you know what, it was made in Korea. That's real funny.

I'm not intending to devaluating products that were made in my country, but after all the efforts and meticulousness poured, I just feel like I tried my ass off just to pick up back cold diarrhea to a dixie cup out of a toilet from the other side of the globe.

Anyways I'll show you when my 아저씨-tic injury heals.

잘자고..

=============

안녕하세요~

제 블로그에 와 주셔서 감사합니다.

이 블로그에 영어, 일본어 그리고 한국어로 쓰기로 했고, 이것은 제가 처음으로 작성하는 한국어 포스트입니다. 재미있게 읽으셨으면 좋겠습니다.

제 이름은 마이클 페건입니다. 시카고에서 왔고, 지금은 서울 서교동(홍대입구)에 살고 있습니다. 지금까지 한국에서 지내오면서 저는 4가지의 서로 다른 신분(identity: that's maybe what you wanted to say instead of REASONS)이 있었습니다. 관광객으로부터 시작하여, 학생, 영어 강사 그리고 지금은 AC 닐슨 코리아의 신입사원으로 생활하고 있습니다. 모두 합하면 2년 4개월쯤 되었습니다. 한국에 오기 전에는 약 1년쯤 일본에서 살았고, 그래서 저는 일본어도 할 수 있습니다.

제가 좋아하는 것을 말씀드리자면 너무 많기 때문에, 일단은(above all) 간단히(simply speaking) "움직이고 있는 것을 보는 것"을 좋아한다고 말씀드리겠습니다. 싫어하는 것도 있겠지만, 아직은 처음이니까 다음에 이야기해야 하겠네요..^^;

왜 한국어로 블로그를 만들고 있냐구요? 왜냐하면, 한국에 살고 있는 외국인(한국인이 아닌 사람)은 마땅히(mandatorily) 한국어 공부를 해야 할 테니까요. 이 블로그는 그 공부의 한 부분입니다. 비록(Although) 월요일부터 금요일까지 회사에 있는 동안 한국어 회화 연습을 할 수 있는 시간이 많이 있기는 하지만, 한국어로 쓰는 연습을 할 시간은 전혀 없습니다. 이 블로그를 자주 업데이트 하면서 제 한국어는 차츰 더 발전할 수 있을거라 생각합니다.

Anonymous said...

it's actually starting to get very chilly out here in the Chi...we've been having unusually decent weather due to global warming i'm sure, ummm Natedogg went back to Cali, Cali....so that depletes one number of friends to hang out with, hey, just another place to venture and visit a fool, yours truly has a day of conceivment coming up...werd is bond!! peace