Thursday, October 26, 2006

Homecoming

It has been a busy, yet fun, first week back home. I finally arrived home to surprise my family and took the following video:


I think it's safe to say they were surprised...


A picture of my house

My first night when as planned, I slept for a countless amount of hours into Saturday afternoon. After awaking and having breakfast with everyone, we drove out to surprise some other members of the family. The next victim was my aunt, who, after having me walk in and greet her nonchalantly, stood there blank faced for a minute before she recognized me and gave me a hug. After having lunch together, I decided to do some shopping. Since my 16 months in Seoul gave me few options in the underwear and runner department, I decided to stock up while I was here. After buying a few more things I went home and prepared to surprise my friends.

My friends, while excited to see me, weren't too dramatic about seeing me for the first time in months. I guess it would have been a little awkward if they had the same reaction as my mom, so I understand their reactions. We proceeded to get shit-faced on beer, grey goose vodka, jose cuervo and the soju I brought back with me. I don't remember doing much during this time except laughing my ass off, playing pool (one game took a few hours at the end) and overall having a great time. One of my friends summed it up by saying my being there was "surreal" or maybe he said "so real" or possibly "No Deal", either way the vodka was good.

From the left: Ralph, Myself, Chris, Marc and Brandon

Sunday left me nursing a decent hangover and waiting to surprise the next major person on my list: my Dad. I was eating some Taco Bell (love to hate it) when my Dad rang the doorbell. I answered the door, once again rather nonchalantly, and my Dad greeted me with a smile, a hug and a "No Shit". If you knew my father this would be exactly what you would expect him to say. After sharing some stories and some coffee, we went out to the local Sports Authority to buy a few things and play with the air hockey tables that were on display. Overall it was a great afternoon.

Monday and Tuesday were much of the same thing: surprising relatives and drinking with friends. Needless to say, two more great days. I hope the next two weeks are as good as the first was.

Sweet Home Chicago...

2 comments:

The Expat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Expat said...

So, what's the deal with the big guy in the middle? He looks quite heavenly...