Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Ouch

For those of you not in Korea who don't know, while the US economy (the global economy for that matter) is in shambles at the moment, the exchange rate here has been taking quite a hit. In the past 4 days alone the exchange rate for the dollar has increased by over 200 won.

A personal account:

Back in 2007 I sent money home to my account in the US. The exchange rate was 948 Won to the Dollar. The exchange rate today closed at 1,395 Won to the Dollar. That means sending home 1,000,000 Won last year got me about $1,055. If I sent that same amount home today I would get me $717.

Like I said, ouch.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Yeah dude, what's up with that?

Meanwhile I'm over here shwimmin in da yenzes... woo!!

Mike said...

That last line rhymed with "Shwimmin in meneges".

Awesome.