Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Venture Brothers is the cat's pajamas

Normally I don't watch a lot of TV because I think it kills time that could otherwise be spent more productively (like drinking or acting loutish). However, I do have somewhat of a fascination for cartoons and Japanese anime as most people who know me can attest. It has been, however, quite a few years since a new American cartoon has been able to capture my attention as well as the Venture Brothers has.
For those of you who don't know the show, its actually created by a former writer for The Tick animated cartoon which was also a show I really enjoyed back in the day. It's a very good blend of comedy, parody and failure and I thoroughly recommend the show to anyone who likes a good laugh.

I've been watching the 3rd season lately and it consistently cracks me up with random pop culture refrences and puns. For instance, in the latest episode, my favorite character, The Monarch breaks into his newly acquired arch-enemy's home base but is really upset with the fact that his new arch-enemy is a complete douche. The new guy is actually part dewgong and calls himself "Dr. Dewgong" and he sits in a wheelchair. As The Monarch breaks in he says "Ah man, you're all fleshy colored and...jeez how much thalidomide did your mother take?". It was perfect and I have never heard thalidomide used as a joke in a cartoon before. I almost spit milk on my computer screen.
In any case, you guys need to check it out sometime. I've got every episode for anyone interested.
For a Venture Brothers breakdown:
For those of you who didn't know what thalidomide is:

3 comments:

The Expat said...

I certainly can vouche for your enthusiastic appreciation of comics.

I hope the guy looked like this: though.

Mike said...


Yeah, or this

Anonymous said...

dude you should send those cartoon episodes to me, looks like it's worth the viewing experience...thanx in advance.