Thursday, February 22, 2007

Juxtaposition

So here we are again.

Work has been particularly interesting lately, albeit rather busy. Last week I got to present two projects to a client, one of which I had 3 days to work on. Essentially that meant I had 3 days to turn a report into a good report into a presentation into a concise and effective presentation and finally memorize all of the key points. The entire thing lasted about 3 hours or so and it went extremely well. The second in command of my company was there to watch me as well.

I recently found out that my job title and position will be changing effective this March, due mostly to the results of my presentations. I will now be handling RMS (Retail Management Services) business as well as my original CRS (Customized Research Services) duties. This means that I will be doing more of the presentations to big clients and also get a chance to get my hands on more of the raw data for projects. Up until this point, I’ve been mostly handling the ass end of reports and final presentations. This switch means I will be able to gain a more holistic approach to what we do here. More responsibility and more work. Same pay. Ha.

I also participated in the recent inter-company basketball game. Since I’ve been getting back into shape and running lately, my basketball legs are also returning to me. It was pretty evident that I still have some rust spots to work out but this recent game was my best outing at the company yet. My CRS team beat the RMS team 107-68. We pretty much pulled away after the first quarter and built close to a 50 point lead in the fourth. I don’t know how many points I scored (between 20 or 30) but I cleaned up on the boards (42) as usual. And yes, I do keep track of my rebound total. It’s all I have to be proud of. I look forward to next week’s game.

Enough about work though.

This coming Saturday marks the 26th anniversary of my entrance into this world. I guess it is rather unfair to most people to say that I feel like I’m getting old but, whatever, I’m getting old. While I am eager to start what I am sure will be a more successful quarter century, I can’t help but feel a bit nostalgic and sad when I look back at my more carefree, responsibility-less days. I guess you can really tell you’re getting on in years when you start using the word “nostalgic”. In any case, happy birthday to me.

Things are really starting to move forward on the travel plans for the next year.

In April I will be going to Japan to see a few old friends. I am kind of mad at myself for going so long without seeing them but at least it’s good to see that they still remember me. I look forward to meeting you guys.

After that, my bro-ham will be coming out here in June for a little while and I’m excited to see him. Fresh from graduating from high school and he already has traveled more than I did at his age. I look forward to showing him around Seoul some more. Also in June (?), I will be going out to Japan again to attend a Jungle Juice beach party, something along the lines of what I did during my year there. I’ve heard they’ve had one every year since we introduced it back in 2002 so I’m looking forward to being there for the 5 year anniversary. Watch out kids, the Jungle Juice King is back.

In July (hopefully), Marc and Ralph will be making it out here so I can show them around Korea. It’s going to be hard to synchronize everything, and the price of the trip is a pretty steep but I’m confident that they will get here and have a good time.

And of course, in September I will be going home for a couple of weeks to see the family and friends.

So as you can see, I’ve got a lot to look forward to the next couple of months. Maybe 26 will be the best year yet.

Here’s to hoping…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

all your rebound talk is getting me "board"...let me take you to school 1 on 1 like i used to. lol

Mike said...

Ah Marc. I think you forgot the rest of your sentence in your excitement. Don't worry though, I will finish it for you. You meant "..like I used to in my dreams." as that is the only place such a mockery of reality could happen. It's okay though, I'm pretty sure it was all a result of you spending your stock of brain power for the day coming up with that clever "board" pun that was so original. Just remember to lay down next time, okay?

My Kid's Mom said...

Ok boys, don’t make me separate you two!! I have really missed having you two around the house. Yes, Ralph too!!! Y’all were not supposed to grow up so fast. And Michael, you are NOT allowed to have a birthday on Saturday. Cause every one you and Ryan have now make me feel even older

Anonymous said...

Your mom feels older!? Hell, I still remember when I would take you to the video store and buy you 10 packs of Teenage Mutant Ninji Turtle cards every weekend and the first movie!
Happy birthday and as far as I', concerned, your NOT turning 26! Knowing that makes me feel my true age, 29.

Kyle said...

Nostalgic? no. Even I use nostalgic.
I know it's coming, so don't even ask what I have to be nostalgic about. lol.
Sounds like life for you is going pretty good. I hope my life has as much direction as yours in about.. ten years. ahaha. Just trying to make you feel older by reminding you you have roughly 10 years on my ass.
Unlike you, whenever I try to work out, instead of gaining muscle I lose weight, even if I increase my food intake. Which really kind of blows. But I'll probably out grow it. k.i.t.

Anonymous said...

Mike!
I found your napkin-scrawled blog address. the name is great, cuz my ex in canada used to sing those words instead of "Secret Agent Man" to the James Bond tune. She really didn't know.
Anyway, happy birthday! You are only 26, but Seoul ages you much faster. HAH! Cheers to the nostalgia of carefree years...back in 2006

Doug said...

Happy belated birthday felk! I'll be seeing you soon in the big Mikan, so I'll reserve proper congratulations for then.