Friday, December 01, 2006

A real taste

Week two is almost officially in the books and what a week it has been. While the beginning of the week started off in Week one fashion, it ended completely differently.

As you all know, Week one was a bust, all I did was sit around on my ass and search internet sites. By the end of yesterday though, it was starting to look like a whole different monster. I have been attending mandatory training sessions for the last week and they can be pure hell. It's not so much the sitting in the same chair for hours on end as it is attempting to learn the materials when it is taught completely in Korean. I will be the first to admit that my Korean is not that good (despite attempts by my co-workers to convince me otherwise) and I cannot pretend that I understand more than about 20 percent of what they are talking about during these sessions. I mean, they are discussing quantitative analysis studies and how they relate to consumer behavior in a language I have been studying for about a year and a half at speeds that even my co-workers say is too fast. On top of it, I have homework for the sessions almost everyday. Then they wonder why I can't complete it.

"It would take me at least 3 weeks to complete this since it is completely in Korean."

"Umm...okay..can you turn it in tomorrow?"

"No, because by my math, tomorrow would be 1 day, not 3 weeks."

"Oh, okay, don't worry about it."

(shrugs shoulders, goes back to looking at nba.com)

Not that I don't want to learn the material, it's just I insisted on having the necessary materials in English. So, I finally get the materials in English yesterday covering all of the models and discussion materials and then I am asked to take the test today.

"Umm..just got the materials yesterday..."

"Oh..so you can take the test?"

"No, because I haven't had time to cover all of the material."

"But it's in English."

"Yes, but unfortunately, I am yet incapable of reading 100 pages a minute."

"Oh, okay, you can take it next time."

Obviously, there are some communication barriers that need to be overcome by management and most of the staff here since I was told last night by my boss that I shouldn't even be going to these sessions. So after sitting at a computer screen for 5 mind-numbing hours in a row having a lady talk into my ear about how to manipulate a program I will never use, I get this information from my boss. Needless to say, it has been a bit frustrating but as always, I will get through it.

The projects I am working on, on the other hand, are very fun. I am covering a project for Johnson & Johnson while simultaneously preparing for a presentation for Buy The Way, a convienience store chain. I have a lot of groundwork to cover and a shitload of notes to memorize, but it is very challenging and fun. I am interested to see what this job turns into. I am sure I will be regretting that statement in the near future too...

In other news, last night was the official "welcome the new guys" party. About 25 or us went out for Sam Gyup Sal (kinda like thick-ass bacon, yummy) and lots of Soju. They wanted to see if I was a strong drinker...they found out the hard way. Now half the company knows not to lay their livers on the table when it comes to drinking with me.

"Wow, you're a strong drinker!"

"Wow, you're not, drink."

I shall conclude this week's rant with more pictures. Enjoy.


My new bed. Yes, the blanket is green. But it is so much more comfortable than whatever rag you will be curling up in tonight.













This is my official work badge. The Korean above my name, when literally translated, means: "is much cooler than you, dick". Actually it's my name.












This picture was just precious. I can't even remember how long ago this was taken. Thanks Marc! Sorry Ralph :(

To be fair, you can see me all painted up at my friend George's site. www.gromeiser.blogspot.com
Enjoy

No comments: